Because of the health risks to their feet, patients with diabetes must be extra cautious when visiting a nail salon for a pedicure. If your diabetes is well-controlled, it’s generally safe to get a professional pedicure as long as you follow these commonsense safety tips:
• Choose your salon carefully. Check that it is clean and has sterilized certificates are up to date.
- Tell the technician that you have diabetes.
- Be vocal about your needs – ask for gentle treatment and that extra care be
taken with trimmers and scissors.
- Insist on newly sterilized tools or bring along your own that you have already
sterilized at home.
- If you choose to use the foot bath, make sure that it has been sterilized since
the last customer.
- Remind the technician to cut your toenails straight across – and not too short.
- Put your pedicure appointment off if your skin is damaged in any way to avoid
We’ll be happy to trim your toenails safely and give your feet a thorough check-up.